Sunday, September 22, 2019

Her Nose clicked ON!

AHS- Official report
After almost a week of rain, standin' water(we still have some)...an' the backyard ..swampy, it was time to get back to our regular patrols last nite.
Dad didn't come home from work until after dark...an' dinner, so me an' Lexie were takin' turns on perimeter duty. (One of us has to stay inside in case mom has a problem..especially w/the "wild child"). Plus, she was debonin' chicken for us...an' there is an issue of quality control that I like to take part in. So, I was inside w/Roxy an' mom...an" it was Lexie's turn outback.
Then dad came home.
He wasn't home in time to even change clothes, before there was all this hollarin' from mom...at Lexie (which is usless, since at the best of times she doesn't hear mom yellin' "NO"). I had followed dad to his bedroom to get my mentos mint. (I figure he owes me for babysittin' everybody...includin' mom).
Immediately, I raced to the livin'room....Roxy was bouncin' around, mom was standin' there w/chickeny hands, Lexie was pickin' somethin' up off the rug an' takin' it to Roxy's bed...an' dad was tryin' to see what the #$@@ was goin' on.
All mom could do was (besides still yellin' "NO" & "OUTSID") was grab me an Lexie....
Roxy (almost 16 wks old) was beside herself....this was the most excitin' thing...EVER!! She was tryin' to get in there to see, but we were all blockin' her. Me especially..heck, it was almost as big as she is, no way I was lettin' her even close to it......Dad went right out on the patio an' came back w/his big BBQ gloves...an' removed the giant possum off Roxy's bed. Mom was still holdin' on to us as dad went out back to dispose of the criminal.
Finally, mom let me go....I ran outside to make sure dad wasn't havin' any trouble gettin' rid of that guy....mom closed Lexie's lil' door an' the big door, let Lexie go an' proceeded to disinfect everywhere.
Roxy was just still bouncin' around...the excitement was almost too much for her...she couldn't smell everythin' fast enough...the rug, her bed...Lexie.....
Lexie was pretty thirsty....carryin' a giant heavy furry flea bag is thirsty work, if you can imagine. After gettin' a long messy drink, she got up in dad's chair all satisfired (an' rightly so, in my book...at least she kept it off MY bed).
Dad an' I came back. It was a successful mission of deportation. Mom opened Lexie's lil' door.
Of course, me an' Roxy an' Lexie were right back out. It was a normal thorough security check for me an' Lexie...just in case there were more than one that we may have missed or one that tried to sneak in.
But for Roxy...it was entirely a different matter.
This was BIG!
Her nose turned on! Her airedale bred instincts kicked in! Thin's clicked that she hadn't even known before.
W/out even knowin' where Lexie found the possum or there were even other critters about....she ran immediately to the spot....over an' over...then began trackin' the fence by it..an' then checkin' the bushes...puttin' her nose down...an' then up....then back to that spot..over an' over.
I was over on the fence side by Lexie's pond, when I gave chase to another one. I was yellin' as we ran down the fence line. Roxy stopped where she was still checkin' out the crime scene, ran to the patio...an listened to me. She was torn between goin' to see what I was after, or goin' in the house if there was danger. Then she saw me headin' back. It had retreated back over the fence. She ran to me, still all excited an' wantin' to play. I told her this was serious bizness an' we weren't playin'. Then I gave her a nudge...turned around...an' w/her followin' beside me...took her out to run the fence line.......she did just that...even picked up where I had spottin' the second one.....Now, she's got that scent filed away an' matched w/what it is.....I may have to promote her to "Jr Security".
Mom called us all inside, sayin' that was enough excitement for everyone. Gave us all a cookie an' fresh water (mine even had ice).
We were all still tuned up..an' played for bit...there was a lot of biteyface goin' on...an' I noticed that Lexie's collar smelled like chicken....an' just maybe that's why Roxy was goin' for our necks, lol

No comments:

Post a Comment