Thursday, June 27, 2013

BAILEY & LEXIE REVIEW TREATS FROM THE HONEST KITCHEN





 Well....what have we here?  It seems another big corporation needs our help.  The Honest Kitchen has asked us to test some of their treats & give our opinion.  There seems to be some good smellin' stuff in here....

 Lexie seems to be tryin' to decide what to try first...it all smells sooo good.  We've never had any of this stuff.  Lexie thought we had won the lottery.
Lots of good stuff to choose from....Beams, Wishes, & Icy Pups


I finally had to tell Lexie that we needed to make a selection & get this thing started.


 She finally got down to business & selected the Beams as our first test product. 


Now...I just have to interject somethin', before we go any further.  Lexie & I are professionals...we can only be bribed by mom, dad, & most of our friends.  (Lexie, especially...she can be bribed w/almost anything)...BUT when it comes to givin' our opinion...that's what we'll do.

It's no wonder Lexie picked this first.  They just smell heavenly.  Who knew we'd like fish that much? They're sticks made from wild-caught Atlantic Catfish in the ocean waters of Iceland.  They are a good source of lean protein & Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids. They come in two sizes. The "Talls" (12") for $12.99/7oz  & the "Smalls" (7") for $8.99/4oz



We both loved these & wanted more.  There aren't very many in the package & they don't last long at all.    They say they are a good alternative to a chicken chew or bully stick...but I dunno about that, taste wise..yes...as a long lastin' chew..maybe not. Just a couple of crunches & you're wantin' another one. & another one. They are that good.  We give 'em a 4 paws up...but I can see a problem with keepin' the home pantry stocked up on 'em & havin' 'em on hand all the time. It's hard to eat just one, although we did test the "Smalls".  I think pretty much any dog will love these.  Both Lexie & I recommend these.



Next, were the "Wishes"....another fish treat.  These wild caught Haddock fillets were really good, too.  Again, we thought there needed to be more in the package.  They can be broken up & used as a training treat.  There's not much chewing to these....depending on if you get a whole piece or just a small broken piece by your mom, who's tryin' to make 'em last longer. They are high in protein & low in fat & carbs.  They only come in one size....$8.99 for 2oz.


 Lexie & I really liked these, too.  I think Lexie was bein' a lil' scarcastic here, actin' like she was really chewin' that piece of haddock, or she was lickin' the grass & makin' sure she didn't leave a crumb.  Given a choice b'tween a cookie & one of these...these win paw down. We gave these a 4 paws up, also.  They are really good.  Don't know or care if cats like 'em or not...but we sure did.

I decided to check out the book they sent.



(Did you ever notice how hard it is to turn the page with out any thumbs?)


Lots of information....all their food is human grade....& dehydrated...& without chemicals

Hmmm....did you know that humans taste every ingredient that goes into their recipes as part of their development process?
Well....we weren't finished.  We had to wait to test our next product...Ice Pups. 


Mom decided that since it was soooooo hot...she'd freeze us some pops with it. It's a powder that you add water to, containing dehydrated chicken, turkey, whey, dandelion, asparagus, watercress, honey & parsley.  You can serve it as a warm broth in the winter, freeze it (like we did) or even mix it up & serve it over ice.  They claim it's also a good & easy way to increase fluid intake if necessary.  You can purchase it two ways, .5oz/99 cents or an 8oz box of  16 individual packages for $16.99.



We had been really looking forward to trying this out.  Cooling off with an icy treat is one of our favorite things to do when it's soooo hot. 




But....it's not as good as I expected....sorry...I'm just not likin' it...
MOM...do I have to eat it all?    Can I have somethin' else?
 

Of course, Lexie loved the stuff....sometimes I wonder if she has any kind of palate at all.  Actually, she does..and she does like any kind of poulty & also, likes veggies. (ex..she has her own private stash of lil' carrots in the fridge, which she gets everytime that door gets open, & helps herself to a multitude of stuff out in mom's gardens...beans, hibiscus, mint...I've even seen her eat lettuce).



She licked her bowl clean & immediately tried to find out if I was gonna eat mine or not.   Actually, she was demanding it.  That never works with me. I'm layin' in the shade...I coulda' stayed there till that stuff melted, before lettin' her have it.  Finally, she laid down & was polite...so, I let her have it, in exchange for one of her other pieces of haddock. It was a win/win, as far as I was concerned.   So, you see, we have a mixed review of this stuff.  Lexie loved it...I didn't care for it at all. I think all that green stuff in there was a big turn off for me.  (As you know, I'm not as big on veggies & greens as she is.) Give me some regular no salt/low fat chicken broth, any day. It's not gonna matter what shape or temp. Ice Pups is in...I'm not gonna be havin' it. Our suggestion is to try a small package, you might like it. 


So...there you have it folks.  Glad we could help.  The folks at the Honest Kitchen are serious about taking a healthy approach to pet foods & treats.  There's lots of information on their website. So,  check 'em out!!


















1 comment: